Dr. James A. Sinclair
Dr. James A. Sinclair was the first veterinarian who serviced Elmvale. He graduated from the Ontario Veterinary College and moved to Elmvale in 1887 where he worked out of his house on East Paterson Street.
Dr. Sinclair sold his property and practice in 1896 to Dr. Donald Currie and moved to Cannington. Dr. Currie graduated from OVC in 1895 and later studied in Chicago. He owned the practice for about two months and sold it to Dr. Archibald A. McArthur and moved to Coldwater.
The clinic remained at Paterson Street but may have been moved to Queen Street around 1900. Dr. McArthur sold the practice back to Dr. Currie in 1900 who had returned from Coldwater.
Dr. Donald Currie (1866-1947)
Dr. Currie operated the clinic primarily as a large-animal veterinarian. The competition was fierce, and Dr. Currie had to compete with other practitioners who were unlicensed or had limited training. A farm visit in his era cost $1.00!
Dr. Currie operated out of his residence and office on the south side of Queen Street until his death in 1947.
Dr. Currie also had a brother, Alex, who came to Elmvale from Freelton in 1901 to operate a blacksmith shop where the new library is now located.
In 1902, Alex sold the business to Hercules (“Dad”) Player, from Ayr, and went to veterinary college. Alex graduated in 1904 and set up a practice in Creemore, which he operated until his death in 1926.
Dr. William Brack
After Dr. Currie’s death, Dr. Dunn bought some of his tools and carried on a practice in Elmvale. He was followed by Dr. William Brack who sold the practice to Dr. John Windrem in 1953.
Dr. Brack moved to Windsor and established the Brack Animal Hospital, which is still in operation today.
Dr. John Windrem (1923-2010)
Dr. John Windrem purchased vacant land on County Rd. 27 and built the hospital at its current location in 1967. Prior to 1963, the Elmvale Veterinary Hospital was located on County Rd. 92 close to the Old Elmvale Sales Barn. The practice was primarily a large-animal practice, but small animal care became more important over the years.
Dr. Windrem and his wife Gladys raised three children and ran the business from 1953 until 1988 and were popular members of the community.
Dr. Kenneth Storimans
Dr. Kenneth Storimans purchased the clinic from Dr. Windrem in 1988 and continued running it as a mixed animal practice until 1991 when the clinic was renovated and became a small animal hospital.
The OVC in Guelph, Ontario is the oldest veterinary college in North America since 1862.
*Credits: Thank you to Gary French for his historical research.